Skip To Content

Assistance and Recovery Support

Overland Flood Insurance

Overland flood insurance is becoming increasingly available in Alberta. Because the Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) provides assistance for damages that are considered uninsurable, overland flood insurance may soon impact eligibility for DRP assistance.

For more information on flood insurance and DRP eligibility, please visit our updated FAQ page here

Recovering from a disaster is difficult. The Government of Alberta makes it easier by providing disaster recovery funding for eligible residents, small businesses, agricultural producers and municipalities after events like overland flooding that cause uninsurable damage and loss. Municipalities apply for disaster recovery programs (DRPs) on behalf of their residents.

Disaster recovery programs provide financial assistance for municipalities and their citizens who incur uninsurable loss and damage as a result of a disastrous event. These programs are an effective way of assisting municipalities by ensuring that the costs of disasters are shared by all Albertans, and whenever possible, by all Canadians through cost sharing arrangements with the federal government.

A state of local emergency does not have to be declared in order to receive financial assistance under a disaster recovery program.

The Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) is administered by the Alberta Emergency Management Agency (AEMA). AEMA is part of Alberta Municipal Affairs. Alberta Regulation 51/94 of the Alberta Emergency Management Act allows the province to provide disaster recovery assistance to residents, small business, agriculture operations, and provincial and municipal governments if the event meets the criteria as outlined in the regulation.

  • The event is considered extraordinary.
  • Insurance is not reasonably or readily available.
  • There is evidence that the event is wide spread.


It’s wildfire season and some Albertans have had to leave their homes due to the risk of fire. For Albertans who have had to evacuate their homes, the insurance bureau recommends that you keep your receipts for expenses such as food, clothing or lodging. Contact your insurance provider for more information.


If the rainfall has been at least at a one in 25 year level in urban areas or a one in 50 year level in rural areas, it is considered extraordinary.


If the flooding is caused by a waterway, and the stream flow exceeds a one in 100 year level, it is considered extraordinary.

Ice Jams

Each ice jam is reviewed on an individual basis. Data, collected by Alberta Environment on general winter and ice conditions and extraordinary conditions (colder winter, rapid melt, thick and strong ice) that prevailed at the breakup in the vicinity of the site will be reviewed.

The Disaster Recovery Program Funding Statistics for Individuals – 2013 Floods

The Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) for the 2013 southern Alberta floods was the largest in Alberta’s history with more than 10,000 applications received. We’re tracking the status of applications and we remain committed to assisting DRP applicants until all files are completed. The statistics below track the number of files closed, the number of applications in progress, and the number of applicants who submitted applications for their file to be reviewed.

The latest statistics for applications from the 2013 floods are found here:

  • Date modified: 2018-04-25